Some simple rules
- JPG, JPEG and PNG are allowed.
- Photo must be sharp.
- No black & white or otherwise discolored images. (e.g. Sepia, Instagram filter like colors).
- No artificial picture frame. (i.e. generated with Photoshop photo frames, etc.)
- No mirrored, no upside down images and the photo must have a straight horizon.
- the ship must be fully visible on the picture and must fill 70% of the image (horizontal or vertical)
- Shipwrecks, accidents as well and dry dock photos are accepted.
- Minimum image size is 1920px on the longest side.
- Permitted image ratios are 2:1, 4:3, 3:2, 1:1, 3:4, 2:3, 1:2.
- When Several vessels are seen in a photo, the main ship in question must be clearly evident.
- Photos have to be able to be distinguished. Too similar photos (duplicates) will be deleted.
- Photo captions/signatures etc. are only allowed in the lower left or right corner of the image in a reasonable size.
About pixels and ratios
It is natural that small photos look pixelated on today's high-resolution screens, and long thin photos don't look very good on the FleetMon website. If you upload the photos right in the size as they were produced by your camera, there will be nothing to worry about: all modern cameras produce high-resolution photos with a gold-standard size and aspect ratio
However, if you like to rework your photos, please consider the following basic points to make sure that your reworked shots look great both on FleetMon and FleetMon Mobile.
We require a minimum size of 1920 pixels on the longest side and require an aspect ratio higher than 2:1 (or 1:2). For example, 2048 x 1536 pixels is great! Long thin photos of less that 2:1 (for example, a photo with 2000 x 800 pixels) just don't look good.
What objects do we accept images for?
Any object transmitting an AIS signal is referred to as a ship station. These include SAR craft, Coastguard stations, Lighthouses and, increasingly, AtoN (aids to navigation) which are usually buoys. Whilst we are happy to receive photos of ship stations that are not vessels, we will not accept AtoN of the buoy type. For clarity ship stations will be referred to as ship in the Guideline text.
Our photo admins regularly check on new photos and do also delete photos which do not fulfil the requirements. Please don't take it personally, stay respectful and see it as a good possibility to improve your skills.
Please only upload images for which you own the copyright. The FleetMon moderators cannot and will not tolerate abuse of images and copyright in any way. Any image that we believe you do not own the copyright for will be rejected. We reserve the right to ban individual users from the website for copyright infringement. All images on this website are the property and copyright of their respective owners. By submission of photos, the owner grants FleetMon.com the right to process, store and display them on FleetMon.com and in related products. HOWEVER FleetMon reserves the right to use photos uploaded for its own use (including commercial). Third parties have no right to redistribute, resell or in any other way transfer or display content delivered through this service to any other party. Doing so may lead to prosecution.
FleetMon.com assumes no liability for data and images uploaded by its users.